Investing in Social Work
We're investing in delivering a national vision for excellent children’s social care now and in the future. We are striving to bring the best people into the profession by actively engaging with social work training to ensure students and trainees are acquiring the right knowledge and skills to do the job.
Newly Qualified Social Workers and the ASYE
We ensure all Newly Qualified Social Workers (NQSW) are fully supported in their first year of practice by providing the following opportunities:
- Shadowing peers and other professionals
- Co-working with more experienced professionals
- Peer group mentoring and guided reading from an external support supervisor
- Familiarisation with the local community
- Discussions with more experienced colleagues
- 10% of the time to be ring fenced for training and development activity
- Access to additional funds for support of own professional development
- Supervision weekly for the first six weeks
- Supervision sessions fortnightly for next six months
- 10% reduction in caseloads
- Training and development activities including external seminars and conferences
- Training and support for assessors
- A salary increase of two increments on successful completion of the programme.
The London Borough of Newham is part of the North East London Teaching Partnership made up of:
- London Borough of Havering (lead)
- London Borough of Redbridge
- London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
- London Metropolitan University
- University of East London
The aim of the North-East London Teaching Partnership is to:
- Develop, embed and maintain a sustainable model and culture of practice learning and leadership excellence at all levels, from entry to social work courses, through placements, newly qualified social workers and the workforce.
- Support the retention of social workers across the partnership.
We work in partnership with the national charity Frontline, to support the fourth cohort of trainees by providing student placements. Frontline’s mission is to transform the lives of vulnerable children by recruiting and developing outstanding individuals to be leaders in social work and society.
Step Up to Social Work
We work with the Step Up to Social Work training programme which provides trainees with intensive, hands-on experience of working in a real-life social work role. On completion, trainees will obtain a diploma in social work, allowing them to register and practise as a social worker. This is a fast track 14 month programme with all course fees paid.